It may not feel like fall outside, especially in our quest for healthy hair with less frizz, but it is indeed officially fall! It’s been a brutally hot and humid summer, especially here in the south, and those conditions are not ideal for naturally curly hair, even if it’s healthy hair. Summer months are particularly tough on our hair, causing frizz, damage, loss of elasticity leading to dry, brittle hair for many. So what’s the cause? Too much summer fun! Summer’s outdoor activities generally bring about sweat, sun exposure, exposure to salt water and chlorine, not to mention the damage we inflict on our hair from daily use of heat, manipulation from styling and product build up. So what’s a curly girl to do to repair the damage and restore her healthy hair? Luckily we’ve got the perfect combination of ingredients to help you restore your healthy hair and give you that shiny healthy appearance you want.
It all starts with deep conditioning
If your hair is suffering the consequences of too much summer fun, you really need to use a deep conditioning treatment on a routine basis. Deep conditioning treatments are available in your local salon, or you can do them in the comfort of your home for a fraction of the cost. Our sof’n’freeGroHealthy Milk Protein & Olive Oil Really Deep Conditioning Treatment is full of oils and proteins essential for nourishment and growth. It can promote healthy hair growth, stop breakage, and rebuild, strengthen and protect hair with its combination of natural ingredients like milk protein, olive oil, and omega 3 fatty acids.
Bring out the ingredients that pack a punch
If you’re serious about your quest for healthy hair, you need to have the very best ingredients in your hair care products. Our new GroHealthyShea& Coconut is the perfect blend of two of the very best and well known ingredients for healthy hair. Our Shea& Coconut Moisturizing Shampoo helps to repair, rebuild and moisturize damaged hair. Follow up with our Shea& Coconut Moisture Rich Conditioner or our Shea& Coconut Leave-In Conditioner both with Omega 3 fatty acids to promote healthy hair.
Fight the frizz factor
If you don’t have healthy hair, then you’re likely familiar with frizz. Summer and frizz go hand in hand, and most women with curly hair have battled frizz on occasion. If you’re fighting the frizz factor going into fall, grab a bottle of our GroHealthyShea& Coconut Flat Out Frizz Fighter with Omega 3. You’ll fall in love with it’s frizz fighting power and before you know it you’ll be well on your way to the healthy hair you’ve been dreaming of.
Our GroHealthyShea& Coconut Curling Custard and Smooth Edges help you finish off your look and also promote healthy hair with their combination of the same winning hair care ingredients. Give all of these products a try this fall, and restore your healthy hair and its natural shine!
Ahhhh, there’s nothing like New York Fashion Week to provide us with jaw-dropping fashion, fantastic hairstyles and looks to inspire fashionistas everywhere. New York Fashion Weekbrings out all the fashionistas, stylists and stars, and provides us with a fast forward into the approaching style season. Alongside this big event, Essence hosted their biggest Street Style Block Party, with celebrity performances, food trucks, high fashion street style looks and lots of glam celebs rocking their natural hair styles. This year in New York was no exception, and we were treated to lots of glam looks and noteworthy hairstyles from all the great designers and celebs in attendance. If you’re looking to rock some of these looks next spring, you’ll likely need a fat wallet for those new clothes and some fantastic hair care products as well. Here are some of the great looks seen at New York Fashion week held last week in New York, and at the Essence Street Style Block Party.
Elaine Welteworth, Editor of Teen Vogue looked spectacular with her natural hair, and bright yellow dress posing with Chloe and Halle (Atlanta YouTube sensations recently signed by Beyoncé) who also rocked Tory Burch’s spring show with their long, lovely dreadlocks. Check these fantastic looks out on their Instagram pages and to rock your own lovely locs, check out our Stylin’ Dredz line to help maintain, moisturize and shine twists and dreadlocks.
Fresh off of their gold-medal Olympic performance,the adorablecelebrity gymnasts, Simone Biles and AlyRaisman rocked their grand entrance each wearing a sexy adorned dress with cut out back as seen on Twitter. Simone wore her hair pulled tight in a low, braided bun and Aly rocked beachy, loose waves pulled to the side. If you’d like to pull off Simone’s look, you’ll need a great styling conditioner like our sof’n’free Nothing But Pure Pudding and to amp up the shine factor, try our sof’n’freeGroHealthyArgan Oil and Olive Oil Nourishing Sheen Spray. To achieve Aly’s glam side-swept waves, consider a great frizz fighter like our GroHealthyShea and Coconut Flat Out Frizz Fighter. In addition to to the natural hair care ingredients shea and coconut, it contains Omega 3s to control frizz, repair, rebuild and moisturize your hair.
NaturiNaughton, looked spectacular in her floral, flowy gown as she posed with Zendaya Coleman at the Essence Street Style Block Party. Zendaya looked perfect in purple and her long, lovely loose curls parted in the middle. Naturi had a high, beautifully shiny, stacked bun, and Zendaya’s locks flowed freely with a healthy shine. To help promote that healthy shine, you’ll need to add a great natural oil to your natural hair care routine. Argan Oil and Olive Oil have long been touted for their ability to rebuild, strengthen and protect hair while providing a healthy dose of shine. Give our sof’n’freeGroHealthyArgan and Olive Oil Treatment a try to give yourself a runway glam dose of shine!
For all your favorite celeb looks, check out New York Fashion Week online or follow your faves on Instagram. To rock those celeb looks with your own natural hair, check out our entire line of affordable natural hair care products, available online through this link.
We all know how much fun summer can be, especially for our kids, but all that summer fun can lead to damaged hair and have many a parent running for natural hair care products to repair damaged hair for their kids. There are plenty of products out there to repair damaged hair, but your little princess deserves natural hair care products specially formulated for her…even if it wasn’t princess-like behavior that got her in this situation in the first place.
Today, our daughters are more active than ever and those activities can take their toll on her hair. Chlorine, salt water, sweat, products and manipulation can damage our daughter’s hair and leave you searching for hair regrowth products and damaged hair repair. Does your daughter demand the latest styles or hair accessories like beads, bands, or colored extensions? If so, you may be finding her hair damaged due to these “fun” accessories or simply from her summer fun activities like swimming. No matter the source of the damage, we know too much summer fun can be hard to recover from, especially when it comes to hair, so we’re going to introduce a few natural hair care products specially formulated to repair your daughter’s damaged hair.
If your goal is to repair damaged hair for your little girl, you need to prevent further damage that can be caused by harsh ingredients like sulfates found in shampoos. Sulfates, which are found in detergents, are harsh on hair, robbing hair of its moisture and stripping hair of its natural oils. On shampoo day, make sure you wash her hair with a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo with natural ingredients formulated for kids like our Olive & Sunflower Oil CombEasy Shampoo. It’s full of natural ingredients designed to strengthen young hair, promote flexibility and manageability, and it doesn’t contain any of the harsh ingredients found in other shampoos.
Everyone knows the value of a really great conditioner, but if you’re looking to repair damaged hair for your baby girl, you’ll want a nourishing product designed specifically for little ones that will strengthen and condition hair, repair damage and promote growth with proven ingredients like shea butter and Omega 3. Our Shea Butter Damage Repair Treatment fits the bill exactly and will restore luster to your daughter’s hair and will help moisturize both her hair and scalp.
Hair Regrowth Products:
If you’re struggling with hair regrowth for your daughter, we’ve got some great products for you. If all that summer fun has lead to loss of elasticity and breakage, you may want to try our Growth Oil or Olive Oil Growth Lotion. Both are formulated with Omega 3s and are specially formulated to increase follicle health, promote healthy growth and stop breakage. If temple and nape areas are problematic for your little girl, we’ve also got a great product Temple and Nape Gro with Almond Butter to target these problem areas, promoting growth, rebuilding and strengthening hair.
We all know how fun summer can be, but if you’re left searching for damaged hair repair now that summer is coming to a close, fear not! All of our natural hair care products are affordable and available online through this convenient link.
It’s an age old question in regards to skin care for men and is being asked more and more these days: save it or shave it when it comes to beards…especially in the hot summer months. Beards have made a huge comeback as indicated by such terms as “Beardmageddon” “Beardpocalypse” and “Growvember” just to name a few. Beards have been on trend for half a decade now, and lots of guys have questions regarding skin care for men choosing to grow or shave their beards. Obviously, it’s a personal choice, but you should weigh the pros and cons of this facial hair style and decide what’s best for you and your skin care needs. Here are a few reasons for saving it or shaving it this summer.
There are a few reasons lots of guys shave their beards off and go with the clean-shaven look…especially at this time of year. Summer, here in the south begins in May as we all know, or at least the summer heat and humidity does. It stands to reason that guys tend to shave it this time of year in order to not feel like a sweaty mess 90 percent of the time. Here are some other key advantages to shaving it off this summer:
- Beard Maintenance – Beard maintenance is much more difficult than shaving alone…beards require washing, conditioning, oil treatment, styling, shaving, trimming, and special products and equipment for these grooming needs.
- Partner Preference – Your partner may love your manly appearance, but not the scratchy feel of your kisses. Partner preference alone is a major reason guys decide to go for the big shave.
- Clean Look = Young Look – As many men as there are whowant look more mature, there are equally as many men who want to appear younger! If you’re a mature man wanting to look just a little younger, a clean-shaven face will “shave” a few years off of your appearance.
- Eliminate that food trap – Let’s face it, beards are traps for beverages and food! Can you imagine eating funnel cakes, cotton candy or caramel apples again at will without worry? The summer carnival is your culinary playground with a clean shaven face!
So maybe you have goals of growing your beard for a certain amount of time or maybe a certain length? Maybe you love the look and versatility different beard styles give you? There are many reasons guys decide to grow or keep a beard…here are just a few.
- Gives You a Manly Look – No doubt about it, beards give you a manly look. Historically, beards have indicated virility, strength and masculinity. Today’s trend is no different…bearded dudes just look strong, and who doesn’t want that look?
- Eliminate Razor Bumps – Lots of guys suffer from razor bumps and razor burn and although there are products available to treat this painful condition, the sure-fire way to eliminate razor bumps is to stop shaving.
- Strengthen the Jaw Line – If you’ve got a weak jaw line or weak chin, beards are a great way to enhance your look. Wearing a beard is a much cheaper alternative to strengthen the jaw line than invasive procedures some guys turn to.
Ultimately, the choice is yours and you’ll need decide for yourself whether to save it or shave it this summer. With so much focus on skin care for men lately, it’s a tough decision. Luckily no matter your decision we have an entire line dedicated to skin care for men, so check us out for all your skin care needs.
Ahhhh, it really is beginning to feel like spring is in Atlanta. After a few blasts of cold weather, it seems like spring is here to stay this time! The grass is green, the azaleas are in bloom, we’ve all got an extra spring in our step, so how about adding some spring to your style with your hair care products?
Spring is all about renewal and rebirth, so time to freshen up your dull, dry and tired winter locks and add some spring shine with great hair care products. We’ve got some great hair care products to help you get the spring back in your luscious locks this season and get you ready for patio weather!
The first step to getting the spring back in your curls is to wash away that build up and residue with a gentle clarifying shampoo like this one. A gentle, sulfate-free shampoo like ours will serve to remove deep-seated contaminants, dissolve buildup and clean your scalp gently without stripping your hair of its natural oils.
Follow up with a great conditioner. If your hair is damaged, shedding and you’re noticing breakage, you could benefit from our Nothing But Intense Healing Mask. This great conditioner strengthens and repairs hair with its pure ingredients designed to penetrate deeply to soothe and smooth your damaged, brittle hair. Curly girls will get the shine and spring back in their curls in no time with this gentle combination.
If you’re looking to boost shine and control frizz, our Curl Sealer is just the remedy you’ve been searching for. Free from all the bad stuff like sulfates, parabens, mineral oil and petrolatum, our curl sealer will shine your hair with its natural shine enhancers and seal in moisture to keep frizz at bay. Curly girls will end up with longer-lasting curl definition, and fresh spring style with that radiant shine that everyone wants.
As a curly girl, you know that sometimes you just simply don’t have the time to go through an entire routine to get the look you want. That’s the perfect time to use our Curl Wake Up Spray. If your curls just need a little boost, this spray refreshes and revives limping locks and brings them back to life with natural shine boosters that won’t weigh your hair down. While it invigorates your curls to bring back that natural spring, it also detangles, conditions and enhances shine.
So, if you’re ready to freshen up your look for spring and give your curls renewed radiance and shine, give some of these hair care products a try. All of these natural hair care products are affordable and available online through this link. Shop from the comfort of your home and get your hair care products delivered right to your door so you can spend more time enjoying this fabulous spring weather!
Based on the yellow layer of pollen covering everything, spring has arrived with a vengeance here in the ATL! You know what that means…summer heat, humidity and sun damage are all just around the corner. If you’re like me, you are still seeing the dark spots and discoloration from last year’s sun damage, so it’s time to take action and find some great skin care products to reverse that old damage, and prevent new sun damage from occurring. If you are an outdoor enthusiast and love to be outdoors in the spring and summer, we’ve got some great skin care products for you, and the best news is, they are affordable for any budget and available online!
The number one complaint about summer skin care products is that they create that oily appearance. We all enjoy a dewy glow, but no one wants an oily shine, which is more likely to occur in the hot and humid summer months. Fortunately, there are a few steps we can take to decrease that oily appearance and some skin care products to help us win the battle against oily skin!
- First, you need to wash your face with a gentle cleanser every day. Don’t fall into the lazy category with your makeup removal and face washing routine. You want to clean your face gently, with soothing ingredients like aloe and natural cleansers like lemon. Our Clere Radiance Oil Control Beauty Bar cleanses, purifies and soothes with natural ingredients like lemon to cleanse and aloe vera to soothe. You’ll enjoy the softness your skin has after washing with our beauty bar…compliments of our special Super Fruit Serum.
- Secondly, the often overlooked step of applying toner can be crucial to fighting oily build up. It’s pretty easy to see if you simply wash and follow with toner applied with a cotton ball. The cotton ball will show you all the oily residue your washing left behind. Toners can also be great for minimizing appearance of pores and restoring skin’s natural balance. Our Oil Control Toner has special ingredients like Super Fruit Serum and Vitamin B3 to help even out your skin tone.
- Last, but not least, you need a well-balanced moisturizer that nourishes your skin without leaving a greasy feel. Our Oil Control Vanishing Cream nourishes skin with Vitamin E and Super Fruit Serum, and contains Vitamin B3 to help even out skin tone. Other than its nourishing and skin-tone enhancing benefits, our vanishing cream also contains micro-sponges that absorb oil, providing oil and shine control for 12 hours!
Keep in mind that your face is what everyone sees first…it’s important to protect it with great skin care products AND sunscreen every day! Dermatologists recommend wearing a wide-brim hat and sunscreen with high SPF for all outdoor activities and don’t forget to reapply if you are sweating or swimming. Try some of these great skin care products, all available online using this link, and watch dark spots and oil vanish…right before your eyes!
Well, there’s nothing like a great awards show to get the fashion and hair care industry all in a tizz! Although last week’s big awards show, The Grammys, was arguably a little ho hum, the hair care industry was left with a lot to talk about. Zendaya appeared with a David Bowie inspired blonde mullet and Janelle Monáe was the perfect combination of glam and adorable with her super thick braided pigtails. Mya rocked her curls off to the side while quite a few showed off soft, straight updos and low ponies. This just proves that your hair care routine and look is as individual as you and no matter what look you choose, straight or natural, up or down, do what works for you and what makes you feel beautiful.
Sometimes curly girls just want a different look…for the long haul or just for a few days. No matter if you chemically alter your hair or straighten with heat, you’re going to risk damaging your hair. To minimize damage from heat, make sure you are using the proper irons that distribute heat evenly and have a temperature control to make sure you take proper precautions.
Non-plated ceramic or titanium irons will help ensure proper heat distribution. Generally, the higher the heat, the more damage you will inflict, BUT if your heat is too low, requiring multiple passes, this can also be damaging. Also, ensure your hair is properly conditioned (with a really deep conditioner). After rinsing your deep conditioner seal in all the benefits with Leave In Conditioner. Before applying heat use a heat protector to prevent damaging hair with blow dryer or irons.
Rocking The Curls
If you’re rocking the natural, curly girl look…good for you! It may have taken a while to come up with just the right hair care routine for your curly hair. If you’re looking to have added strength, elasticity and shine for your curls, look for products containing Moroccan Argan Oil and Olive Oil to give your curls that super shine and lustrous look.
If you’re transitioning you’re going to want to maximize your growth potential with the right hair care products. Be sure you are using a gentle shampoo that is free from sulfates, which can strip hair of its natural oils and cause breakage. Use growth products infused with milk protein and olive oil to help your hair resist breakage and deep condition regularly.
Taking A Break
Protective styles are not only fashionable, but offer you and your hair a break from daily manipulation. There are so many different protective styles to choose from, you can definitely find a style that works for you and gives you that signature look. Check our recent blog post, “Protective Styles 101 For Healthy Hair” for a few hair care tips for protective styling.
With the right hair care routine, you can rock your style however you like! Just make sure you are doing your best to promote the health of your hair with your diet and your hair care routine. Just remember, your hair care choices are YOURS alone…so do what makes YOU feel good and wear your choices confidently!
We all want the best when it comes to natural hair care products, but what do we look for in our quest to keep our hair looking fabulous? It seems obvious that natural ingredients would be the best choice, but with so many variables in hair types, it’s difficult to know what product will work best on your unique hair. With so many products out there claiming to be the best for natural hair care, we’re going to isolate a few of our favorite natural hair care ingredients – the best ones you should search for in your quest for better looking, better feeling, healthy,natural hair.
- Shea Butter – Shea butter is utilized to nourish the scalp and promote hair health and growth. Rich in vitamins A and E, it can help soothe dry scalp, and impart moisture to dry, damaged hair. Shea butter can help restore moisture to hair that has been damaged from chemical treatments, and has sun protection factor that can provide protection from damage from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Olive Oil –Olive oil is used to promote a healthy scalp and adds shine to dry, dull hair. It is rich in antioxidants and vitamins A and E and according to Elle.com, can promote hair growth by removing the build up of sebum, which can impede new hair follicle formation. It can also restore shine to dry, damaged hair, making it more manageable.
- Sunflower Oil – Sunflower oil is rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, vitamin B, C and E. It is also rich in antioxidants and fatty acids such as Omega 9 acid, which can be helpful in preventing hair loss and restoring dry, brittle hair.
- Omega 3 – Omega 3 can help to rebuild and strengthen hair and has been shown to promote hair growth. It also has protective qualities, and can restore luster and shine and help to increase elasticity in damaged hair.
- Milk Protein – Milk protein can soothe dry scalp and help prevent itching. Milk protein contains essential amino acids and is useful for treating dry, damaged, brittle hair. It can also promote shine, manageability and strengthen hair.
- Argan Oil – Moroccan Argan oil is used to hydrate hair and helps to promote a silky, shiny texture. Rich in Vitamin E, and containing essential fatty acids Omega 3 and Omega 9, Argan oil can help repair damage caused by chemical treatments or heat, and can restore and renew natural hair. Benefits of use include increased moisture retention, increased softness and manageability, increased elasticity, decreased breakage, scalp nourishment, and repair of split ends.
There are lots of natural hair care products out there and it can be difficult to sift through all of the confusing information. These are just a few of our favorite natural hair care ingredients, so look for those that suit your specific needs as you choose your products. We are individuals, and our hair has different needs…so do your research and ensure you are getting the best natural hair care products for your money!