The dog days of summer are upon us and here in Atlanta, the sun has been relentless and has many of us running for shade and summer skin care products offering sun protection. It’s difficult to avoid the rays of the sun in the summertimewhen the sun is shining down on us 7 days a week! If you’re like most, you’re looking for skin care products to protect your skin and remedy the dark spots and damage that is a result of too much sun exposure.
Skin Care Tips for Reducing Sun Exposure
Summer skin care is all about SPF, or Sun Protection Factor. Skin care products containing SPF can range from 5 up to 100 or higher, and most Doctors recommend SPF of at least 30, but what do these numbers mean? Here’s a great explanation from cancer.org:
“The SPF number is the level of protection the sunscreen provides against UVB rays, which are the main cause of sunburn.Higher numbers do mean more protection, but many people don’t understand the SPF scale. SPF 15 sunscreens filter out about 93% of UVB rays, while SPF 30 sunscreens filter out about 97%, SPF 50 sunscreens about 98%, and SPF 100 about 99%. The higher you go, the smaller the difference becomes. No sunscreen protects you completely.”1
If you are noticing dark spots, your skin is reacting to sun exposure and unfortunately, that means you’re not doing your job protecting your skin! We all have to go outside, so when you are outside in the sun, take these additional steps to protect your skin.
- Wear a wide brim hat – the wider the better to offer more coverage. If you’re active, look for a hat with a chin strap, so it stays in place. There are even hats available that have fabric attached to protect the ears, neck and sides of your face.
- Stay in the shade – If you are outdoors for an extended period of time, stay in the shade of a tree or under an umbrella. Keep up the sunscreen use though, as the rays can still reflect from outside the shaded areas.
- Avoid sun exposure between 10 and 2 when the sun’s rays are at their strongest.
- Protect your eyes – Eyes are susceptible to the damaging rays of the sun as well, so be sure to wear sunglasses with UV protection and select a style that sits close to skin and wraps around your eyes. If your glasses sit out to far, they are still exposing your eyes and surrounding skin to the sun.
Skin Care Tips for Reducing the Appearance of Dark Spots
Sometimes, despite our best skin care and sun protection efforts, dark spots can still show up causing uneven skin tone, especially this time of year. If you’re noticing dark spots here are some great skin care tips to help you even out your skin tone.
- Stay diligent with your skin care routine. You should wash your face with a gentle cleanser like this one that contains Aloe Vera and Super Fruit Serum to soothe and soften your skin.
- Follow up with a toner with Vitamin B3 and Super Fruit Serum to further cleanse and promote an even skin tone.
- Look for a complexion cream like this oneclinically provethat not only nourishes skin, leaving it soft and supple, but also contains key ingredients like Super Fruit Serum, Vitamins B3 and E, that are clinically proven to reduce dark spots and marks in 14 days.
Keep it smooth this summer with these skin care tips, designed to help you avoid and diminish summer skin damage. Our Clere Radiance line is affordable and available online and will help you control oil, and even skin tone, so your skin looks fresh, smooth and radiant all summer long.